SMALL PROPERTY OWNERS AND TENANTS: ON FEBRUARY 28, 2021, THE WINDOW WILL BE CLOSED FOR LANDLORDS AND TENANTS TO PARTICIPATE IN A NEWLY ENACTED RENT FUNDING PROGRAM
In late January 2021, California passed legislation to assist landlord and tenants with back rents accrued since the COVID-19 pandemic commenced in March, 2020. Under this new law, California will pay 80% of small property owner’s unpaid rent piled up during the coronavirus pandemic, but only if the landlords agree to forgive the other 20%. This law could potentially wipe out billions of dollars in debt hanging over renters in this state as well as assist landlords in the collection of rents they would never recover. However, you must strictly comply with the requirements of this program which expires on February 28, 2021.
Certain steps must be taken to preserve your rights and participate in the program! To see the eligibility requirements for landlords or tenants, go to ucilaw.neotalogic.com wherein you can analyze your rights and options going forward. Remember, the deadline to submit all information is February 28, 2021.
Additional information can be found by checking your local laws, because cities and counties may impose additional notice requirements and/or prohibitions against eviction. Check covidevictions.github.io/ordinances to check your local laws — or contact a lawyer to see if your city or county has additional requirements. Keep records. Records to retain can include communications with your tenants, communications with your mortgage provider, your bank statements, proof of payments made and/or missed by tenants, and similar documents. Financial counseling can help you avoid foreclosure or bankruptcy. Contacting California Housing Finance Agency to learn more about the National Mortgage Settlement housing counseling services www.calhfa.ca.gov/nms.htm or contact www.lawhelpca.gov to see if you qualify to connect to a no-cost lawyer or legal advice. Contact an Attorney: Call Hershorin & Henry, LLP at 949-859-5600 if you have any questions regarding preserving your rights and participation in the COVID-19 Tenant and Landlord Relief Act.